Today, the nation and the world acknowledge and celebrate the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As part of that worthy effort, and in support of the Presidential Inaugural Committee MLK Day of Service, my wife started the “Kids Like Me Book Drive.” Here is her message:
“When I was a child, reading was such an important part of my life. It was a way to make sense of the world, find a temporary escape from reality, and a chance to learn about other people, places and things. I wish every child had the chance to own and love books like I did.
That’s why in honor of MLK Day of Service, I am hosting a virtual book drive to benefit Reading Is Fundamental (RIF). The event, titled “Kids Like Me Book Drive,” is centered around donating books celebrating diversity.
Here’s how you can help. Use this link https://tinyurl.com/kidslikemebookdrive to select the book/s you wish to donate directly to RIF.
A few things to note:
- If you are already signed up for Amazon Smile, the link will take you directly to the RIF book list.
- If you are not signed up for Amazon Smile, you will need to search the Charity List for Reading Is Fundamental.
- After you add the book/books to your cart and go to checkout, be sure to select Reading Is Fundamental as the shipping address so that they go directly to RIF and not your home.
The site provides plenty of books to choose from, starting at less than $7.00. Some of the titles people have selected include,
Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice
I Am Every Good Thing
Separate is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation
Ada Twist, Scientist
Too Shy for Show and Tell
One is a Pinata
Lend a Hand
If you do decide to participate, I would love for you to post the title(s) you select in the Reply section below. Also, please feel free to share the link on your social media pages.
With children continuing to learn at home, I would be very grateful if you would join me in helping RIF provide needed books and resources to assist children and families as they navigate the challenges this pandemic presents.
Thank you for your generosity!”
Note: Over 90 people have already signed up. There can never be too many books.
Thanks Dina. I enjoyed selecting these 5 books and donating them to RIF through Amazon Smiles.
(1) Who Are Venus and Serena Williams?
(2) Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation
(3) Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race
(4) New Kid
(5) Please, Baby, Please